Fall 2021 final exam details
Final exams for fall 2021 will take place Thursday, December 16 - Saturday December, 18, and Monday, December 20 - Wednesday, December 22 with a Study Day on Sunday, December 19. All rules set forth in the Final Exam Regulations apply to all online and in-person final exams.
- All Remote Instruction (online synchronous) and Online Classes (online asynchronous) final exams will be conducted online.
- All In-Person Classes' and Blended Classes' final exams will default to being conducted online. Classes scheduled as In-Person or Blended may choose to request a classroom for their final exam to be held in-person using the In-Person Final Exam Request form by October 1, 2021.
- The Final Exam Change Request form must be submitted for all changes to the final exam date, time (for both online and in-person exams), and location, including classroom requests (e.g., a classroom with a different style of seating). Form deadline for fall 2021 is October 1, 2021.
Guidelines for all online final exams are as follows:
- All synchronous classes holding synchronous online exams will follow the published Standard Final Exam Schedule.
- All synchronous classes holding asynchronous online exams should ensure the due date for their exam is not earlier than the published Standard Final Exam Schedule day/time.
- All asynchronous classes holding synchronous online exams should take their final exam on Thursday, December 16, 2021.
- All asynchronous classes holding asynchronous online exams should ensure the due date for their exam is no later than Wednesday, December 22, 2021.
Final exam regulations
If students have exam conflicts or three (or more) final exams within one calendar day, they may request adjustment with their college office and instructors. Such a request must be presented at least two weeks before the exam period begins. To make up the exam, students must obtain the instructor's permission.
Instructors may not vary from the University final exam schedule except by concurrence of the dean of the college and the director of scheduling. This prohibition also precludes moving a final exam from a scheduled time to study day or to the last or earlier meetings of the class, except laboratory final exams which cannot be held in accordance with the regular final exam schedule.
Final exam change requests
To request a change to final exam hours, departments must submit a Final Exam Change Request form. Doing so will ensure orderly consideration of student hardships. Additional common exams may be requested on the form, including room requests. Please be aware of the following:
- Instructors who request any variation from the official final exam schedule must agree to give a special make-up exam to any students who (1) have overlapping final exam conflicts, or (2) have three (or more) exams in one calendar day.
- Arranged exams and authorized variations in published hours shall conform with the hour-periods shown in the exam schedules.
- Each college shall assume responsibility for making arrangements to spread out exams for students who have three (or more) exams scheduled in one calendar day.
- Three-hour exams will be scheduled on the half-day that the corresponding two-hour exams would have been given.
- Exams are scheduled from 8:30 a.m.-11:30 a.m. or from 1:30 p.m.-4:30 p.m.
- Submit a Final Exam Change Request to schedule a 3-hour exam if the course is not listed below.
- The following courses have been approved for a three-hour final exam:
- AEM 2011, 2012, 2021, 3031
- Math 1001, 1031, 1051, 1142, 1151, 1155, 1271, 1272, 1371, 1372, 1571H, 2243, 2263, 2373, 2573H, 2374, 3592H, 3593H
- Physics: all courses
- PubH 3001, 3003, 3004
University Senate policy decrees that no extracurricular events which require the participation of students may be scheduled from the beginning of study day to the end of finals week. Exceptions to this policy may be granted by the Senate Committee on Educational Policy. The Senate advises all faculty members that students who are unable to complete course requirements during finals week shall be provided an alternative and timely opportunity to do so.